Amazon’s Customer Review Insights gives you actionable information from customer reviews to help you develop your next top-rated product, improve existing ones, and generate positive reviews.
Amazon’s customer reviews and star rating can be an important indicator of a product’s success—and an important source of feedback for sellers looking for insight on how to improve their product or invent a new one.
Customer Review Insights make it easier to understand customers preferences and needs by providing aggregated customer review information that you can use to help improve product ratings, sales, and customer satisfaction.
What is an Amazon customer review?
Reviews inform shoppers about other customers’ experience with your product, packaging, shipping, responsiveness, and professionalism.
Amazon customer reviews can include:
- A rating out of 5 stars
- A written response
- Text, photos, or videos
Amazon calculates a product’s star rating using machine-learned models instead of a simple average. These models consider factors such as how recent the rating or review is and the reviewer’s verified purchase status.
Reviews are important in establishing trust and credibility with customers and can greatly influence purchasing decisions. Positive and negative reviews can also provide helpful insight when you’re looking for ways to improve your business.
What are Customer Review Insights?
Customer Review Insights automate product review analysis, reducing the manual effort it takes to read and analyze thousands of customer reviews. You can find it within Product Opportunity Explorer in Seller Central under the Growth section in the main menu.
Customer Review Insights help you understand customer feedback at a glance. The tool aggregates customer reviews for a specific product or niche, bucketing themes into positive and negative review snippets and showing you how the review topic positively or negatively impacts the star rating.
Customer Review Insights can be found within Product Opportunity Explorer in two ways:
- Use the search bar to search a keyword or Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN). Once you select a product or niche, click the Customer Review Insights tab.
- Use the Find opportunities by category dropdown to select your category. Click on any niche, then click the Customer Review Insights tab.
Together with Product Opportunity Explorer, Customer Review Insights provides the necessary business intelligence to determine the top qualities and specifications of successful products that you can use to launch your next product or improve existing ones in the Amazon store.
How can you use Customer Review Insights?
Customer Review Insights provides two separate views for your selected product or niche: one for positive and one for negative reviews. Each offers insights about the most common topics that come up in reviews, review snippets, the topic’s impact on star rating, and topic trends over the past 6 months.
This information provides you with actionable insights that you can use to identify what’s working, recognize potential gaps or shortcomings in your product selection, benchmark listings against best-in-class products, and track defect trends across a product category.
Some examples include:
- Use positive reviews to see what customers love about your product, and negative reviews to improve product features. For example, if you sell clothes and receive many reviews with “size smaller than expected,” you can either adjust your product description to set expectations or tailor your product to provide a more accurate fit.
- See how positive and negative review topics impact your star rating. For example, quality may be the most important factor positively influencing your rating and the size of the product might be the most influential negative factor.
- Learn if certain types of feedback occur seasonally or because of a specific event. For example, if you see a spike of negative reviews during a given month, it could be due to a fulfillment delay or manufacturing error during that period. This can help you narrow down and address impactful changes in your business. Or maybe you made a product improvement and the positive reviews from customers affirm the decision.
Bottom line—don’t get discouraged by negative reviews. Instead, you can look at them as an opportunity to understand how you may improve your business to create a more enjoyable customer experience. Customer Review Insights can help you do just that.