With so many products out there, it can be hard to know where to find solid product ideas that customers actually want to buy. Here you’ll learn about tactics to identify the best products to sell online in 2023, plus tools for finding top-selling items on Amazon. We’ll also walk you through how to get started with your idea and drive online sales in 2023.
Get product ideas and find the best products to sell in the Amazon store in 2023
Selling online continues to be profitable: In 2021, Amazon selling partners in the U.S. sold more than 3.9 billion products (that’s 7,500 every minute) and averaged about $200,000 in sales, up year-over-year from about $170,000 (2022 Small Business Impact Report).1
But how to choose what to sell? With the sheer amount of products out there, it can be a tough call. Here we’ll show you how to dig into the Amazon Best Sellers list to find product ideas. Let’s cover some tools and tactics for zeroing in on product ideas and fueling online sales in 2023.
Ways to find product ideas: 4 tactics
1. Put your own spin on trending products
If you have your eye on a specific product category or type of product, ask yourself whether you can improve on what’s already selling well—or offer something better. Try these tactics:
- Look for higher demand, lower competition products – You may see products in high demand, but what’s the competition like? The number of reviews can give you an idea. Generally, high-demand products with a lower number of reviews indicate lower competition and an opportunity for you to jump in.
- Use product reviews to guide product improvements – Browse product reviews to get a sense of customer feedback. Write down the pros and cons and look for areas where you can exceed customer expectations by offering something different to meet buyer needs.
- Get creative – Is there something you can do to make a trending product unique? Can the product be sold all year? Could you launch a product of better quality?
Even the best product ideas won’t sell successfully online if you run into issues procuring the products, listing them online, or getting them to customers.
If you’re just starting out in ecommerce, be sure to:
- Research affordability and customer demand
- Choose products that are easier to package and ship
- Consider products with a long shelf life
- Think about branding potential
- Avoid products on the restricted products list, if you want to sell in the Amazon store.
2. Monitor sales and other metrics
How do you know if you’ve chosen the right products? There’s always room for improvement, so keep an eye on store performance and continually look for opportunities to boost sales.
The right ecommerce solution can give you the infrastructure and insights you need to keep a pulse on what’s selling. As an Amazon seller, you can use Seller Central to monitor sales, brand health, customer feedback, and more:
- View your account health and metrics on the brand dashboard.
- Download the Amazon Seller Health Guide.
- Track performance metrics, get sales reports, and track analytics from the Brand Dashboard.
- Stay up to date with notifications.
- Monitor customer feedback and follow best practices to maintain positive feedback and ratings.
3. Get inspired by examples of successful businesses
Fitness equipment, fashion, handmade art—whatever your interests are, you can likely turn your passion into a profitable venture.
Check out these online business ideas from successful entrepreneurs who turned their expertise into thriving businesses.
We launched our business straight out of the gate with Amazon and went from about 20K to 30K a month all the way to 130K a month. Mind blown!
4. Conduct product research
There are a lot of products out there. Which ones can be most profitable for your ecommerce business? Give yourself time to explore and try a variety of methods. Conduct product research to find out. You can:
- Research and validate your business idea
- Talk to potential customers
- Use ecommerce tools to explore products for sale
One powerful (and free) resource is Amazon search. Browse product categories to identify up-and-coming products, spot opportunities, and analyze patterns in niches that interest you. Then, you can do a deep dive into subcategories and drill down to products you can capitalize on. For example, you might start with the Kitchen and Dining category, refine to storage and organization items, then narrow it down even further to travel and to-go containers.
Get more product research tips in this ecommerce business guide. There are also ecommerce tools that can help you zoom in on best-selling products—we’ll cover some great options, next.
How to find top-selling items: 5 Amazon tools
1. Dig into the Best Sellers list
The Amazon Best Sellers list is a ranking of the most popular products in the Amazon store based on sales. Test the waters to see if your idea has potential by browsing the departments and item types that matter to your business. The list is updated frequently, so return to the Best Sellers ranking often to inform your procurement strategy.
2. Check Best Seller Rank
Look for each product’s Best Seller Rank (BSR) to gauge demand for a given product. To research manually in all departments, type product keywords in the Amazon search bar to get page one results.
A good starting point can be to look in the product listing’s Product Information section, find the product’s BSR, and take detailed notes. Some products have more than one BSR if they appear in multiple categories.
3. Look for trends on “Movers & Shakers”
Updated hourly, the Amazon Movers & Shakers list shows the biggest gainers in sales rank over the last 24 hours.
Click on any category in the list and you can discover:
- The top 100 trending products by performance
- How much the sales rank has increased
- Previous rankings for products
- Number of reviews and stars
- Pricing range
4. Watch Hot New Releases
Do you have an idea for a new product? Check out hourly updates on the Amazon Hot New Releases to research how similar products are performing and get a sense for what type of market may be out there for your idea.
5. Use Product Opportunity Explorer
Product Opportunity Explorer is an Amazon tool you can use to explore detailed analytics reports for trending products across various niches, such as:
- Customer purchasing behavior
- Customer reviews and ratings
- Seasonality of the product
- Search volume and growth for the product
- Average number of units sold
- Average price of the product
- How many sellers are in a given niche
- Launch date of the products in that niche
Once you find a product you’re interested in, you can click it to learn more about it.
What are the best products to sell in the Amazon store?
The best products for you to sell in the Amazon store will depend on your business model, goals, and various other factors. Consider your ideal audience and what type of products they’re looking for. Then, you can explore trending products across a wide range of product types. To spark ideas, here are some examples of popular items and categories in the Amazon store based on the Best Sellers list:
- Beauty & Personal Care: hair growth oils, acne products, false eyelash mascara, skin moisturizers, anti-aging products, makeup, skin exfoliants, Q-tips
- Kitchen & Dining: food scales, travel tumblers, stainless steel water bottles, collapsible microwave covers, meat thermometers, manual smoothie blenders, can openers, dish cloths, toddler sippy cups, rice cookers, veggie slicers, knife brushes, oil sprayers
- Automotive: windshield wiper blades, car cup coasters, car seat headrest hooks, car phone mounts, car trash cans, bumper retainer clips, scanner code readers, jump starters, car interior cleaners, microfiber cleaning cloths, headlight restoration kits, car vacuums, portable air compressors, leather conditioner, phone screen protectors
- Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry: adult clogs, shapewear, running shoes, slippers, hoodies, moisture control sticks, yoga pants, loafers, leggings, boxer briefs, bikini brief underwear, vacuum storage bags, sweatpants, sweatshirts, compression packing organizers
- Electronics: wireless earbuds, Fire TV stick, Apple AirTag, Apple arPods with lightning connector, 4-pack Apple AirTags, USB wall chargers, Apple lightning adapters, fitness trackers, iPads, Kindles, Roku remote replacements, 4K smart TVs, Amazon Fire HD tablets, Roku streaming devices, surge protectors, Amazon Fire tablets for kids, monitor wall mounts
- Appliances: ice makers, ice machine cleaners, ductless range hoods, countertop ice makers, ice filters, fridge locks, mini fridges, mini freezers, compact portable washing machines, compact portable burner cooktops
The top-selling products are always changing—what’s hot one week might not sell well the next. Build ongoing product research into your business model for best results and to achieve lasting success.
How to get started with your product idea
Even with the best product ideas, you don’t want to run into issues procuring the products, listing them online, or getting them to customers. Before you decide on products to sell, consider how you’ll:
- Source the products
- Get the products to customers
- Share products with customers online
- List the products to drive traffic
- Market the products to boost sales
Let’s explore each of these and how they can play into your business strategy.
1. Procurement: Source your products
After you’ve narrowed down what you want to sell, the next step is to figure out how you’ll source products.
As an ecommerce seller, you have several options. Will you resell existing products? Or maybe you plan to create or build products on your own? Another option is to work with a manufacturer to make products according to your specifications, or produce branded items.
Different procurement methods come along with considerations of their own—learn about some of the ins and outs with our ecommerce business guide.
2. Fulfillment: Consider your shipping options
How will customers get their orders? Amazon sellers have several options for fulfillment, including:
Merchant Fulfilled (MFN or FBM)
With this fulfillment method, the seller maintains inventory, packs, and ships orders to customers.
- Amazon sellers have the ability to send products to Amazon fulfillment centers where we pick, pack, ship, and provide customer service for those products.
- With FBA, you can take advantage of specialized services like FBA Subscribe & Save, FBA Pan-EU, FBA Export, or Multi-Channel Fulfillment.
- This Prime program allows Amazon sellers to deliver directly to domestic Prime customers.
- You can use your own warehouse while earning the Prime badge to increase product visibility.
- Seller-Fulfilled Prime comes along with guaranteed delivery date messaging and other perks. See how to qualify and get started in five steps.
You can mix and match methods to meet your fulfillment needs. For example, you can combine merchant fulfillment with FBA or an Amazon-approved third-party fulfillment solution through the Amazon Service Provider Network.
Remember, you can always choose one fulfillment solution now and change it later as your needs change. Learn more about fulfillment options and get a strategy checklist with our ecommerce fulfillment guide.
Improve your ecommerce logistics with trusted third parties
Discover Amazon-approved third-party tools in the Selling Partner Appstore and Service Provider Network. Applications from third-party and Amazon software providers can help you automate pricing, manage inventory, conduct product research, improve customer response time, and more.
3. Listing: Add products online
The type of listings you create will depend on the products you offer, and small details can make a big difference between listings that perform well and those that don’t. Learn more in this step-by-step guide to optimizing product listings, and read on for the basics.
To start selling products, create a product listing in Seller Central—your go-to resource for selling in the Amazon store.
- Once you create an Amazon seller account, you will automatically gain access to Seller Central.
- If you already have an Amazon seller account, simply sign in with your registered email and password.
To begin listing products, you may choose to match an existing listing or create a new one if there’s no comparable product already listed. Learn more in our beginner’s guide to selling in the Amazon store.
You can list many products online, but some hazardous materials have special requirements. If you want to sell a product, but foresee any issues with listing the products online, you may need to reevaluate your business plan or go back to the drawing board with ideas on what to sell.
4. Connect with customers
Think about the products you want to offer, then look for ways to help customers find them.
With many free tools at your fingertips, an Amazon ecommerce store can help protect your brand name, showcase wares, and make it easier to connect with customers. You can build an online store that looks entirely different from the typical Amazon layout with your own Amazon URL.
Once you create a seller account and enroll in Amazon Brand Registry, you can build a storefront that introduces customers to your brand story and entire product catalog through customized rich media including text, image, and video content.
Give customers a multi-page, immersive experience: Learn more about how to build an online store featuring your brand.
5. Tailor your marketing and adjust as needed
In the expanding ecommerce space, it takes intention to gain attention. The right ecommerce marketing strategy can help you boost product visibility, improve online conversions, and win repeat purchases and customers.
Effectively marketing products is not a one-and-done activity. Revisit your marketing strategy often and adjust as needed. Learn about eight steps to build a marketing plan plus 15 top ecommerce marketing strategies in this ecommerce marketing guide.
Find product ideas and stay inspired
Are products flying off the shelves and are you looking to scale? Or are you in the initial phase of finding the next breakthrough item?
No matter what stage your ecommerce business is in, it can be a challenge to strike the right balance between sticking with popular products or switching it up with something that might sell even better.
As you weigh your options, don’t hesitate to check back and use the Amazon Best Sellers list, Product Opportunity Explorer, and other tools available. Whether you’re looking to compare profitable niches or diversify product offerings, these resources and the tips we’ve covered in this article can help you boost online sales.
Unlock selling opportunities with a variety of Amazon programs
Play to your strengths and develop your selling strategy with a variety of programs made to support your business model:
- Protect your brand and unlock a suite of brand-building tools with Brand Registry.
- Sell handcrafted goods with Amazon Handmade.
- Offer customizable products with Amazon Custom.
- Earn artwork royalties with Merch by Amazon.
- Sell pre-owned products with Amazon Renewed.
Explore these and more add-on options as you find your niche. You can also mix and match programs to grow sales and reach even more customers.
Looking for more inspiration?
Check out these 38 online business ideas to hear from successful entrepreneurs who turned their passion into thriving businesses.
FAQ: Product Ideas
What are some new product ideas?
Tracking what is currently trending is a good place to find ideas. You can begin by watching what is selling the most, like digging into Amazon’s Best Seller list and the Movers & Shakers list for popular products based on sales, updated hourly.
Need more inspiration? Check out 38 online business ideas from successful entrepreneurs who turned their passion into thriving businesses.
How do I get product ideas?
- What are you passionate about?
- When you look around, what do people need to solve a problem?
- Which types of products are trending and currently popular?
- Could you put your own spin on an existing product and make it better?
- Explore the Best Sellers list to see what’s trending now
- Analyze the Best Seller Rating (BSR) of products to see what customers love
- View the Movers and Shakers list to find the breakthrough trends of the moment
- Monitor the Hot New Releases list to see what new products are on the rise
- Track sales performance and competition with Product Opportunity Explorer
What are some new products in 2023?
What products are in high demand?
- How many customers are buying the product
- Customer reviews and ratings
- Seasonality of the product
- How fast products are selling
- Average number of units sold
How do I get products for my business?
- Creating or building products, like those in Amazon Handmade
- Reselling existing products
- Working with a manufacturer to produce items
What are the best products to sell in the Amazon store?
- Skincare products
- Food scales
- Travel tumblers
- Manual smoothie shakers
- Car cleaning supplies
- Loafers and clogs
- Ice makers and supplies
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Kitchen & Dining
- Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
1 Based on data for the 12-month period ending April 30, 2021