It’s tricky to balance growth and brand image. Building and maintaining a unique brand can help you differentiate products in a competitive market. But how do you manage your brand as you expand into new markets? Here are some ideas.
What is brand management?
Brand management is a set of marketing, promotional, and product development activities to encourage customer loyalty. Brand awareness builds recognition for your brand with your audience. For example, a customer who has positive associations with the products you offer will be more likely to share your brand with their family and friends.
Effective brand management helps ensure customers have an engaging experience each time they interact with your brand. As you invest in product quality and conveying your brand story, you boost brand equity—the value customers perceive in your business. Consistent positive associations with your brand can help you increase brand equity, sales, and reach.
How does brand management work in Amazon’s store?
Amazon gives your brand visibility in front of hundreds of millions of shoppers, and there are over 250 tools and services to help you grow and manage your brand in the Amazon store. You can manage customer engagement, gather brand data, protect against counterfeits, and more.
Whether you’re establishing a new brand or expanding your business, the Amazon store can serve as a channel to maintain or grow your brand presence through the suite of brand tools available under the Professional selling plan.
In this post, we’ll cover how you can use these tools to protect your brand equity, build brand awareness, track brand mentions, and increase sales.
Being a new brand, you don’t have trust yet. How do you build that? It was very easy to get that trust from customers by being on Amazon.
How to protect your brand equity in Amazon’s store
You invest a lot of time and resources into building your brand and curating products, but it can be difficult to keep track of your success across different online channels. Whether or not you sell in the Amazon store, there are tools to help you monitor and protect your brand.
- Track your brand through Brand Registry
- Monitor products and guard against counterfeits
Track your brand through Brand Registry
Brand Registry helps you monitor and protect your brand in the Amazon store. Using information, you provide about your brand, these automated protections proactively remove suspected infringing or inaccurate content.
This free resource is available whether or not you sell directly in the Amazon store. This enables you to stop bad actors and protect your brand equity. If you sell using third parties to list products in the Amazon store, Brand Registry gives you access to manage product listings so customers see accurate information.
Using machine learning tools, you can quickly find and report suspected infringement to protect your brand. Automated protections in Amazon’s store proactively block suspected bad product listings before they go live online.
Monitor products and guard against counterfeits
Counterfeits hurt your brand perception and can lead to a poor customer experience. Transparency is a service that allows you to track products with unique codes. The code is scanned in fulfillment centers before shipping to customers through Fulfillment by Amazon. Customers can also scan to make sure they receive the right products when you ship using third-party fulfillment.
Here’s how it works:
- Enroll products to apply a unique 2D code, similar to a QR code, to each item.
- Amazon fulfillment centers scan these codes to verify authenticity before shipment.
- If a product fails this authenticity check, it’s immediately set aside for further investigation.
How to build brand awareness in the Amazon store
If you’re expanding your brand and are interested in adding your brand to the Amazon store as a selling channel, here’s how you can create a branded experience and convey your story to millions of customers.
- Create a consistent and custom brand experience
- Promote your brand in shopping results
- Provide proactive customer service
- Reward customer loyalty
- Track brand performance and gather sales insights
- Find out what resonates with customers
1. Create a consistent and custom brand experience
Don’t underestimate the power of brand impressions. It takes customers .05 seconds to form an opinion of your brand. If you sell products online, it’s important to create a consistent presence across your website, social media channels, and websites such as in the Amazon store. The goal is to boost customer confidence and let people know they can depend on a memorable experience each time they interact with your brand. Stores with three or more pages have 83% higher shopper dwell time and 32% higher attributed sales per visitor.
You can build a custom ecommerce storefront for free with our drag-and-drop editor. Add some engaging copy, plus rich media like video and imagery, and stick with your brand color scheme to give customers a multi-page, immersive shopping experience.
Consistency is an important tactic for building your brand. You can match an Amazon storefront to your own branded website to create a familiar experience that will help build customer loyalty.
Optimize product detail pages to tell your story
Using a tool called A+ content, you can tell your brand story on product detail pages to help customers make shopping decisions. Describe product features and include enhanced images to educate customers about product features.
Proactively answering customer questions and showcasing unique selling points for products can also result in higher conversion rates, increased traffic from product search pages, and more sales.
To boost sales, include the following on product detail pages:
- Custom paragraph headers and images
- Bulleted lists for product features
- Unique image and text layouts
- Product comparison charts
The brand story feature section of the product detail page is another place where you can strategically use images, text cards, and links to other products or your brand website.
2. Promote your brand in shopping results
Once you’ve set up a branded store, invest in marketing and advertising to nurture brand awareness and engagement. Here’s how to use sponsored ads and product bundling to increase visibility for your brand.
Boost your brand awareness with custom ads
Sponsored brands or sponsored products ads appear on the product search results page. You can use sponsored ads to showcase your headline, logo, and up to three products. These ads appear in multiple locations on desktop and mobile app shopping including above search results. They run using a cost-per-click model, meaning you only pay when a customer clicks.
Once your ads are up and running, you can monitor performance through metrics like:
- New-to-brand metrics – Measure how many first-time customers your campaign drove in the last 12 months.
- Campaign placement and performance – Break down ad performance based on where ads ran.
- Advertising cost of sales (ACOS) – Represent your ad spend as a percentage of sales.
Increase sales with product bundling
Product bundling allows you to promote complementary products, increasing sales as you help customers discover different items.
With virtual bundles, you can offer combinations of two to five products for a single price and assemble them once a customer makes an order during the order fulfillment process.
Want to take product bundling to the next level? Use Brand Analytics to zero in on smart pairings customers frequently purchase together.
3. Provide proactive customer service
How can you manage customer expectations and avoid returns? For a start, provide extensive product details and visuals to set a solid foundation for customer satisfaction.
You can also answer questions and respond to customer reviews in a positive and supportive manner. While it isn’t fun to receive negative feedback, don’t get discouraged. Bad reviews can help you see where and how to make improvements. Be sure to respond to both negative and positive feedback.
If you sell in Amazon’s store, you can review feedback and respond to customers all in one place with the Customer Reviews Tool.
4. Reward customer loyalty
Brand Follow encourages customers to follow the brands they like and are interested in. Customers can choose to follow the brands they prefer. Brand owners can also take advantage of Brand Follow to offer exclusive deals, new releases, and trending products.
5. Track brand performance and gather sales insights
Data can empower you to make smart decisions by providing actionable insights so you can leverage your strengths and identify opportunities to grow.
Brand Analytics is a service that provides aggregated customer search and purchase behavior data to help brands improve business. Here are some of the reports you can access through this tool:
- The Amazon Search Terms Report helps you identify how products you sell perform in Amazon search including conversions, clicks, and sales.
- The Repeat Purchase Behavior Report helps you identify products and brands that customers reorder so you can craft campaigns to inspire repeat purchases.
- The Market Basket Analysis Report shows top products customers most commonly purchase alongside the products you sell to identify cross-sell opportunities.
- The Item Comparison Report identifies which products customers most commonly view alongside the products you sell in order to unlock advertising opportunities.
- The Alternative Purchase Report shows which products customers purchase instead of the products you offer to compare different selling opportunities.
- Search Analytics tells you the exact organic search queries that resulted in purchases
As of 2020, Brand Analytics had served business metrics to more than 500,000 brands.
Enroll in Brand Registry to access Brand Analytics at no additional charge as well as reporting on what products are most popular with customers, how marketing campaigns perform, and more data-driven insights.
6. Find out what resonates with customers
Identifying the messages and cues that connect with your audience can be challenging and time consuming. To unlock insights faster, run experiments to identify what works and what doesn’t. You can use A/B tests to learn what phrases, price points, images, and offers resonate with customers and lead to sales.
Here’s how it works: One group of customers sees one version of the content (Version A), while a second group sees another (Version B). Then you can see if one type of content is selling better.
While some A/B testing tools can be pricey and difficult to integrate, you can run A/B tests at no additional cost right from the Seller Central: Go to the Manage Your Experiments tab to run comparative tests and see how products perform.
Managing your brand with the help of the Amazon store
Amazon can help businesses of all types and sizes build, grow, and protect their brands with a wide range of management tools. Learn more about how to launch your brand in Amazon’s store.
Looking to identify new opportunities to achieve your business goals and inform your selling strategy? Find out how to leverage brand management tools in this guide to building your brand.
We launched our business straight out of the gate with Amazon and went from about 20K to 30K a month all the way to 130K a month. Mind blown!
Brand Management FAQ
What is brand management?
Brand management is a set of marketing, promotional, and product development activities to encourage brand awareness and customer loyalty. Brand awareness builds recognition for your brand with customers. Branding basics, marketing efforts, and customer engagement are three broad approaches you can use to encourage brand awareness.
What is brand equity?
Brand equity is the value customers perceive in your brand. A brand with higher value is perceived as having better products or services, while a brand with lower value can be perceived as having lower quality products or services. To build brand equity, you can focus on product quality and invest in building awareness. Create positive associations of your brand through storytelling, maintain a high standard of product quality, and practice the values aligned with your brand.
For example, Amazon is known for its customer obsession. We start with the customer and work backwards, earning and keeping trust by providing a wide selection of products, providing fast shipping through Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), and providing hassle-free returns.
Why is brand management important?
Brand management is crucial to building customer loyalty, standing out in the ecommerce market, and ensuring repeat sales. Effective brand management can lead to higher sales, as well as increases in:
- Brand image – the overall impression customers have of your brand
- Brand awareness – the level of familiarity customers have with your brand
- Brand loyalty – repeat purchases from customers who have positive experiences with your brand
Think of brand management as an opportunity to put customers at ease and help them develop connections with the products you offer. Manage your brand to earn customer trust, encourage repeat purchases, and boost sales.
How do you manage your online brand?
In general, some brand management tactics include:
- Monitoring your brand and thinking about how you want to make an impression on customers
- Promoting your brand across different channels such as social media, email, search, and selling websites, and the Amazon store.
- Maintaining consistency in branding across your website, sales channels, and social media
- Providing a good customer experience with product selection, fulfillment, and return process
How does brand management work in Amazon stores?
Take advantage of built-in brand management tools available only to sellers in Amazon stores:
- Create a seller account and choose a Professional selling plan.
- Set up your brand in Amazon’s store by enrolling in Amazon Brand Registry.
- Protect your intellectual property and guard against counterfeits with Transparency.
- Start building a store. In Seller Central, find the Stores tab. Click “Manage Stores,” then “Create Store,” and choose your brand.
- Customize the store to match your brand’s personality and convey your story by adding images, videos, and infographics. Be sure to review Amazon’s creative guidelines for stores.
- Launch a store by submitting the store for publishing. The moderation process can take several days, so keep an eye on the Status Bar for updates.
- Monitor brand and product performance using Brand Analytics.
- Monitor and interact with customers using the Customer Reviews Tool.
- Promote your brand and increase visibility by running ads on product pages, or upsell products by bundling them for customers.
Sign up and list products to connect with the hundreds of millions of unique visitors who shop in Amazon stores every month. You can also enroll your brand in Brand Registry to build and protect your brand online, get access to free reports, tools, and benefits, and become eligible for $50,000 in potential bonuses and discounts.